First of all, many thanks to Hayley at https://hayleyxmartin.com for nominating me for my first ever blogging award! I am absolutely flattered and blown away that anyone would nominate me for anything, so PLEASE go check out her blog! You will not be disappointed!
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
- Write a post to show your award!
- Give a brief story of how your blog started.
- Share two pieces of advice for new bloggers!
- Choose 15 other bloggers you want to give this award to.
- Comment on each blog and let them know you have nominated them. Provide the link to the post you created.
Thanks Hayley for letting me copy the rules off your page- hope that’s okay!
How My Blog got Started
When I got accepted as a Professional Intern at Disney’s Animal Kingdom in 2012, I had been reading TONS of DCP (Disney College Program) blogs in order to prepare. I decided to start blogging as a way to keep track of my time as a Cast Member, and maybe also as a way to keep those memories.
Sadly, working as a Disney Cast Member took up all my time, and whenever I did have a spare moment, I wanted to play in the theme parks with my friends or relax. So, that blog kind of died a slow death. Luckily, however, I was able to remember a lot about my Cast Member experience by jotting down tiny notes every day and taking a lot of photos. Later, I would use these memories to write my first book, Arielle in the Animal Kingdom.
Anyway, after the book was published, I began to learn how much I loved writing. I didn’t want to stop. I started dreaming of getting a “bigger” book published, and so I purchased a guide called “The Essential Guide to Getting Your Book Published.” There’s a chapter early on that explains how you should start a blog before publishing a book, in order to find your “niche” and see if you get any reader responses.
I started my current blog in January of 2017, and started seriously promoting it in May. Now, whatever happens with my writing career, I’m really happy with how my blog is progressing and growing, and I’m really happy about all the connections I’ve made with fellow bloggers (sorry if that sounds sappy, but it’s the truth).
Two Pieces of Advices for New Bloggers
- I’m still a new blogger, so just remember- it’s okay to be new and ask for help. There are a ton of nice, more established bloggers out there, who write really helpful articles on how to get started and promote your blog. I’m still learning on how to boost traffic to my site, and how to optimize my posts so that they will be indexed by search engines. I’m learning how to take better pictures and edit them for my post headers. There are a lot of helpful blogging tips out there, and if you can’t find something just by searching for it, don’t be afraid to ask!
- Join Twitter, and schedule your blog posts to publish across all your social media. Social media really is key in getting your blog out there. Without blogger retweet communities, I never would have gotten as much attention to my blog as I have. I’m always afraid I seem annoying when I schedule posts to tweet, or when I publish a post on Facebook, but if you really believe in your writing and love what you do, then there’s no shame in that. You’ve got to start somewhere! As an aside, I’m always available to help if anyone has a blogging question- even though I’m still new myself!
Let me know if you choose to do this, as I would love to read your responses!
Hugs and Fishes,